Before you head out for your next vacation, take some simple steps to safeguarding your home against burglary.
- Lock up — Securing your doors and latch all windows.
- Give your house keys to trusted neighbors — Ask them to check mail, keep an eye out for suspicious activity, and move advertisements indoors; things left at the door alert passersby that no one has been home for days or weeks.
- Unplug — Disconnect small appliances, turn off the water, and turn down the heat to 50 degrees.
- Turn on the lights — Use a timer for indoor or outdoor lights.
- Toot your horn after the vacation’s over – Save your status updates and twittering for later; tech-savvy thieves might be reading your news on the internet.
And least but not least, tidy your house and make your bed before you leave. Returning to an organized home is sweeter than coming back to clutter.